The index includes:
- Patent 1-3 covering the years 1856-1921. Images of these volumes are available on FamilySearch -- Land Patents were granted by the US Government on land they had acquired. Most of the early patents in San Mateo County were verifying claims of those who had been given Spanish land grants. Subsequent transfers of those original land patents are is made by deed. It is possible to declare that the original patent has been transfered to an individual, which can give protections not necessarily transferred by deed.
- Record of Deeds 1-4 covering the years 1855-1866. Images of these volumes are available on FamilySearch. FamilySearch has images of deeds well beyond these initial 4 volumes as well as images of many of the indexes that were created over the years. These are all browse only, but are not difficult to navigate and find the records you are looking for.
- Mortgages 1-2. These records are available from the San Mateo Country Recorders Office. These are just the first two of many Mortgage volumes available in the County Record Repository. They can help provide a better picture of the worth of a property as amounts are often no included in the deeds.
For other early land records of San Mateo County see
- Homesteads Index Images
- Leases Index
- Lis Pendens Index
- Sole Traders Index Images
- Tax Sales Index to Sales by Tax Collector, Index to Sales, Executions and Certificates