Herald Building Circa 1940
Courtesy of San Bruno Library
"The Peninsula News, a weekly paper has been purchased by G. A. Helmore from Horace W. Amphlet, editor and proprietor of the San Mateo Times, Helmore but recently returned from England where he served with the British forces during the late war. "
Coast Side Comet, Volume 12, Number 46, 14 January 1921
Helmore established the San Bruno Herald in November of 1920. After his purchase of the Peninsula news he changed the title to include "and Peninsula News" A change in the numbering of volumes suggests that the Peninsula News was being published continuously before the purchase. Volume 1 issue 10 was issued on 8 Jan 1921 and Volume 8 issue 3 was issued on 15 Jan 1921. 1921 would have been it's eighth year of production.
In 1931 the publisher of record was Harry Elston. He continued using the title San Bruno Herald and Peninsula News until 1934 and added it back in 1937. It appears that he continued as publisher until 1955, when the Amphlett Printing Company was again listed as owner. During this period A I Cloud was publisher for many years.
The San Bruno Public Library has a nearly complete run of all the issues on microfilm. UCR has many of the issues on microfilm masters. A few other libraries have individual issues, but none have significant holdings.
Statues of California V1. P387
- Peninsula news. : (San Bruno, San Mateo County, Calif.) 1914-19??
- San Bruno herald. :W (San Bruno, Calif) 1920-1920 Vol. 1, no. 1 (Nov. 6, 1920)-v. 1, no. 8 (Dec. 25, 1920)
- San Bruno herald and Peninsula news. : (San Bruno, Calif.) 1921-1931
- San Bruno herald. : (San Bruno, San Mateo County, Calif.) 1931-1937
- San Bruno herald and Peninsula news. : (San Bruno, Calif.) 1937-1955
- San Bruno herald, Peninsula news and the San Bruno progress. : (San Bruno, Calif.) 1955-1980
- San Bruno enterprise journal, San Bruno herald. : (San Bruno, Ca.) 1980-1980
- San Bruno herald. : (South San Francisco, Calif.) 1980- 2004
San Bruno Public Library
San Bruno Herald - Wikipedia