Federal Arts Project (WPA)
The Federal Arts Project was established in August 1935 and terminated September 1939 with instructions for states to allocate all project art work to eligible tax-supported public institutions. It was reputed to have created more than 200,000 works, FAP artists created posters, murals and paintings. It was the goal of the FAP to employ out of work artists and provide art for non-federal buildings, such as schools, hospitals and libraries.
Artists wishing to be considered for the Federal Art Project had to prove they were impoverished and had to submit samples of their work. Before they could be apply, they had to be accepted for Home Relief. If chosen for the Project, artists were paid a salary of about $24 a week.
There were three primary divisions of the project: art production, art education and art research. The primary product of the art research portion of the project was the , consisting of approximately 18,000 watercolor renderings of American decorative arts objects from the colonial period through the nineteenth century. The education component resulted in art centers, classes, lectures and exhibits around the country. The production aspect produced many of the wonderful murals that are still in existence today.
|Like many Federal agencies the National Park Service |
benefited by the work of FAP artists.
(Public Domain Images Online)
The in Los Angeles has a collection relating to a Federal Arts Project sponsored by the National Park Service at the Southwest Museum and the Los Angeles Museum of History, Science and Art from 1936-1937.
You will find administrative records which include correspondence, instructions and personnel reports. The photographic collections include field notes, file notes and the photographs themselves. A third section of the collection includes chalk and ink drawings, maps, oil paintings and watercolors depicting the collectinos and historical figures from California History.
This is just a sample of what might exist for other projects. If your family members were employed by the FAP look in local repositories for collections on the art works in the area where they lived.
|The Letter – Burlingame Post Office|
funded by Section of Fine Arts – Department of the Treasury
The Department of the Treasury ( ), was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division. It continued until 1943. Unlike the other New Deal art programs, commissions were awarded through competitions and artists were paid a lump sum for their work. Competitions were open to all artists, regardless of economic status. Proposals were reviewed without identifying the name of the artist who had made the submission.
Find more on New Deal Arts Programs: