San Mateo County Genealogical Society's Blog featuring society events, projects, meeting notes and other items of relevance to genealogists.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Sharing Stories: Millie Lueck MacInnis, Salvation Army Captain

Hopefully, you are all busy composing stories for the SMCGS Sharing Stories contest. You have a month left to get those creative juices flowing. As you compose don't forget pictures, maps or graphics of any kind, they help grab the audiences attention.

Plan to attend the meeting and pot luck lunch, where we'll share some of the stories. There will gifts for all those who submitted stories and a drawing for prizes.

Here is a sample story as told by Carolyn Williams on MadeIntoAmerica.org.



Millie Lueck MacInnis: Salvation Army Captain 


Captain Millie Lick in The Salvation Army
 c. 1890
“You are all arrested, come along,” declared Officer Pete Walsh of the Butte, Montana police force. In the midst of a heavy snowstorm, Captain Millie Lick (Luec)and her six fellow Salvation Army soldiers were taken down to the city’s barracks on charges that their marching and singing in the streets was disturbing the peace. As it turned out, the complaint was from the owners of dive bars who were afraid of losing their clientele to the nightly Salvation Army prayer meetings.
Leaving Germany – The Luecks were a small family of four who left the rural farming village of Stargard in what is now northeastern Germany. It was 1874 and Bremen shipping merchants were heavily advertising cheap passage to the US in order to fill their empty US-bound ships with emigrants so they could return with moneymaking US cotton and tobacco.
Peasants were motivated to emigrate as they were rapidly losing their land due to German unification as well as economic insecurity caused by an oncoming great depression triggered in 1873 after the close of the Franco-Prussian War.
Along with 150,000 other German emigrants in 1874, Friedrich and Wilhelmina, ages 34 and 32, and their two children Millie Pauline and Wilhelm, ages three and one, sailed to the USA where they could find good farm land and a better opportunity in life.
Arriving in Wisconsin – Wisconsin was a prime destination for German immigrants with many already having settled there during the emigration boom of the 1850s and it is likely that the Luecks had heard that Wisconsin welcomed farming families such as theirs.
They settled in Green County in southern Wisconsin and began farming and adding to their family, another four children over the next 10 years.
Millie Pauline – This is the story of the Lueck family’s first born, Millie Pauline, who arrived in Wisconsin from Germany when she was three, and grew up with the hard labor that is life on a farm.
Undoubtedly, Millie’s daily life included milking cows twice daily, feeding chickens, slopping pigs, helping with planting and harvesting, cooking, caring for her five younger siblings, and going to their local Lutheran church.
Threshing on the Lueck Farm
The Salvation Army – The Salvation Army was a new, Christian evangelical organization founded in England in 1865 “to bring salvation to the poor, destitute and hungry by meeting both their physical and spiritual needs.” By the late 1880s the organization had reached Wisconsin, and in 1888, at age 17, Millie Pauline joined the Salvation Army and left her family’s farm.
Lueck family c. 1888 when Millie (far left) left the farm
What lit a spark in Millie to leave the farm for an evangelical life did not come down in the family history story. But I can imagine a girl’s desire to see the world outside of a farm and cheese-making community in southern Wisconsin as well as her finding a passion for helping people.
Although she grew up being called “Pauline,” she began to use “Millie” as her first name, a derivative of her middle name “Emilie,” and “Lick” instead of “Lueck” as her last name when she left, perhaps crafting a new, more “American” identity.
Butte, Montana – Two years later Millie was now Captain Lick (Americanized “Lueck”) and in charge of a small band of Salvationists sent to make conversions among the rough crowd in the largest mining town in the world, Butte, Montana.
The first months were full of challenges. Most people, including both the good citizens of Butte and the miners, scoffed at the Salvationists as an offbeat religious group.
Their prayer meetings were crowded, but filled with “roughs” who harassed them with catcalls, jeering, breaking out in popular songs instead of hymns, and throwing stink bombs. Drunks broke up the meetings, and newspapers mocked and ridiculed them.
On a snowy February night in 1890, the Butte police arrested seven Salvationists including Millie on the charge of disturbing the peace as their band marched through the streets playing and singing hymns.
Fortunately, at the trial the following week, reason prevailed. The people of Butte opposed the evangelical methods of the Salvation Army, but they could not deny the good that they did and the right to do it. The case was dismissed.
The Salvationists continued their activities. Newspaper accounts report that Captain Lick and her loyal soldiers held nightly prayer meetings, visited jail houses, marched with their band (Millie played the guitar, see photo) through the streets singing hymns and inviting people to the meetings, and wove their way in and out of bars nightly selling the Salvation Army’s magazine, “The War Cry.”
Captain Lick, along with her two women lieutenants, had a motto: “Never Say Die.”
Captain Millie Lick and lieutenant
By the end of four months, their group had grown to 60 members, and one of them was Millie’s husband-to-be, G. Kenneth MacInnis, a rollicking Canadian Scottish miner who is thought to have disrupted a few meetings before he converted, or was “reclaimed” as he liked to put it.
Millie and Kenneth – The following year in 1892, Kenneth and Millie were married in Des Moines, Iowa, where The Salvation Army had its headquarters. Both Millie and Kenneth were soldier evangelists, and for Kenneth, it was the beginning of a lifelong career as a preacher. Millie was age 21 and Kenneth 27.
Several years later in 1895, Kenneth enrolled at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, for a seven-year journey to earn a bachelor’s degree in Classical Studies. In Millie’s obituary, it is stated that it was her encouragement that helped her husband complete his formal training.
To get through college, Millie and Kenneth ran a boarding house where they rented rooms and Millie cooked daily meals for 12 men. She also took two years of history and literature classes at Lawrence University and looked after their two children.
Before he graduated from Lawrence at age 37, Kenneth was ordained by the Methodist Episcopal Church and spent his life as a pastor and lecturer in Wisconsin.
Millie was an active member of the Methodist church and other societies throughout her life, including a term as the President of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union in Evansville, Wisconsin.
As a child of immigrants, and an immigrant herself, my great grandmother Millie was said to be a hard and constant worker – in her husband’s words “No idle hours in your plan.” She died shortly before I was born, but I believe that she set in motion a legacy of valuing hard work, education, moral living, helping others and closeness in family life.
I grew up hearing that Millie said her life reflected the three German Ks: Kirche, Kinder and Kuche ‑ Church, Children and Kitchen. Although the three German Ks have been modified in subsequent generations as women have moved to work and professions outside the home, her immigrant values have remained core to our family.
Story submitted by Millie’s great granddaughter Carolyn Williams.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Sharing Stories


Submissions are open March 15 – April 30

Join the fun and write a family history or local San Mateo County story.

Submit your story to SMCGS  

to be entered into a drawing for prizes,

publication,

and/or reading aloud at a monthly meeting. 

Each entry receives a small gift.

Submit your story to
SharingStories@smcgs.org



Mark your Calendar
Sharing Stories Readings and Pot Luck Lunch
May 20
Watch the website for more information


Wednesday, March 8, 2017

San Mateo County Places: San Gregorio

EAST FRONT FROM SOUTHEAST - San Gregorio House, San Gregorio Road, San Gregorio, San Mateo County, CA

East Front From South East -  SAN GREGORIO HOUSE

  • Digital ID: (None) hhh ca0851.photos.362900p 
  • http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.ca0851/photos.362900p
  • Reproduction Number: HABS CAL,41-SAGR,1--1
  • Repository: LOC Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.  

In 1865 George Washington Tully Carter purchased five acres along the northern bank of San Gregorio Creek near the stage road.  Here he built San Gregorio House, a "summer resort for the citizens of San Francisco." (1)  Although Carter only lasted three years in what he considered a lonely place, by the 1870s the little town was thriving.  It had a school, a post office, a general store, a church, a blacksmith shop, a boot shop, a butcher shop, a Levy's store branch (1872) and of course a saloon. 

In 1875 the hotel was bought by John R Evans.  He preceded to add to the original building. Few changes have been made to the building which still stands today.   In 1888 the hotel was sold to the Palmers who ran it in partnership with Frank Bell, a native of the area.  Bell married the Palmer's daughter and the hotel remained open until 1930 when Mrs. Bell closed it, continuing to live on the premises.


Website for San Gregorio General Store 
In 1889 the current San Gregorio General Store building was added to the complex of buildings, which also had added another saloon and a Chinese laundry. The area was a major stop on the stage road down the coast from San Francisco.  A Chinese community grew up along the creek but eventually was washed away due to heavy rains. 

In 1915, the community was home to seven cheese factories.  
Report of the State Dairy Bureau 1915
Appendix to the Journals of the Senate & Assembly v5 p94








Residence of JB Harsha - Fairview Church in Background
Moore & DePue's Illustrated History of San Mateo County
GT Brown & Company 1878

Some Early Residents of San Gregorio & Vicinity 
Name, arrival, nativity, early holdings 1870 Census (holdings in 1877)

  • Salvadore Castro (1114)
  • Rodriguez 13344 15/100
  • Jacob Downing 1853 New York (500)
  • William S Downing 1854 Downing (600)
  • George F Keiffer 1854 Virginia 190 acres  
    • Joseph Keiffer (800)
  • William Rayner 1857 England 748 Acres (748)
  • George Watkins 1857 England
  • John Ralston 1858 Pennsylvania 1200 acres (1037)
    • William Ralston 1858 California
  • George William Morrell 1860 Canada 180 (50)
  • James W Bell 1860  Ireland  1140 acres
  • JB Harsha  1862 Ohio 750 Acres (350)
  • Alfred Fay 1863 New York 378 acres
  • James Quintin 1867 Pennsylvania 1300 acres (1300) 
  • Conrad Lautenschlager 1869 Germany 345 acres (450 24/100)
  • Rane Capen Merrill 1870 Maine 240 acres
  • Thomas Leary Baldwin  1873  - Maine
  • A Marsh 1875 New York
  • William Shields 1875 Ireland 262 acres
  • K R Evan 1875 England 60 acres
  • John Rayner (451)
  • Newell (748)
  • SM Culver (240)
  • Alex Gordon (925)
  • Alex Gordon (224)
  • Rachel Dale (224)
  • J C Richardson (150)
  • LJ Dale (187)
  • William Dale (187)
  • Mary & J Dale 392 46/100
  • Samuel W Preble 367 46/100
  • John H Osgood 403 69/100


  1.  San Gregorio House  An Enduring Heritage: Historic Buildings of the San Francisco Peninsula By Dorothy F. Regnery, Junior League of Palo Alto (Calif.), Historic American Buildings Survey
  2.  History of San GregorioThe Story of San Mateo County, California, By: Roy W. Cloud, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. Chicago, Ill 1928

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

SMCGS Databases: Appeals From Justice Courts / Change of Venue



Record sets in the San Mateo Country Record Center range from hundreds of volumes to papers tucked into a single small drawer.  One of the small sets is Papers Concerning Appeals from Justice Courts and Change of Venue to San Mateo County Superior Court which is located in drawer 32 of cabinet RC5B1.

There are just 52 cases in the drawer, for many there are multiple documents. Cases range in date from 1882 to 1920. Among the cases we find the request to appoint a guardian for Soledad Sanchez as she is incompetent to handle her own affairs and the petitions of the neighbors of Mrs. Arnold who was living at 307 Knowles Street to declare her insane.

There are venue changes from as far away as Imperial County for a land sale.  Among the other venue changes include a bankruptcy in Napa and a misappropriation of monies case from San Francisco.

There is a variety of appeals from Justice Courts including the suit of H W Hickey against William Hatfield for lack of payment for labor.


Index to Drawer 32: Appeals from Justice Courts and Change of Venue to SMC Superior Court