|Eikerenkotter Hotel - Searsville 1862|
Near current intersection of Sand Hill and Portola Roads
Courtesy of San Mateo History Museum
d. 26 Jul 1887 Searsville
"A. Eikerenkotter. Mr. Eikerenkotter was born in Prussia, Jun 30, 1817. He was reared and educated in his native country, and came to the United States in 1834. He settled in Charleston, S.C., where he lived eleven years, afterwards locating in New Orleans. He came to this state around the Horn, and arrived in San Francisco January 6, 1850, on the bark Tarleton, Captain Hale commanding. After a stay of one week in the city with Mr. Russ, he went to Sacramento, and then moved to Coloma El Dorado county, locating at Sutter's mill, where he engaged in mining. He then moved to the middle fork of the American river and thence to Dry Diggings, Placer county, where he engaged in a mercantile business and hotel keeping. In the fall of 1850 he returned to San Francisco, and kept the Paradise Hotel at the corner of Pine and Kearny streets. In 1852 he came to Searsville, where he has erected a hotel, and keeps a store, in connection with the post office. He married Helena Lesemann, and Charles F., Edward, Tilla, Julius, Albert, and George, are his children." History of San Mateo County p.288
Helena Lesemann (1 Jun 1827 - 21 Apr 1891) was born in Hamburg Germany. The land indexes for San Mateo County show a Magdalena Eikerenkotter as a grantor of land in 1857 and a mortgagor in 1863. Is this in fact Helena, or is there another Eikerenkotter that does not show up in other records, perhaps a mother or sister-in-law of Augustus? The actual records might provide an answer.
|1866 Great Register - San Mateo County|
$50, 12 cows and 7 swine worth $1500 and wheat worth $1600.
|Eikerenkotter Plot in Union Cemetery - CAT|
- Charles Frederick 20 Sep 1848 Louisiana m. Lizzie Doran 1878 Walter 13 Aug 1871
- Walter Hancock 13 Aug 1871
- Alice 9 Oct 1878 m William Dickie 1899
- Edward 1851 Coloma, CA - 31 Jul 1897 Redwood City m. 1888 Katie McNulty (1861 -1886). Edward served as county Auditor and County Clerk and then deputy Clerk until his retirement in 1895. He was living in Palo Alto at the time of his death.
- Girl 18 Jun 1879 - 18 Jun 1879
- Boy 2 Jul 1880 - 2 Jul 1880
- Earnest August 24 Feb 1884 - 1 Aug 1921 m Theresa Elsmann 1912 Spokane WA. In 1920 Earnest was working as a meat inspector in Oakland. After his suicide Theresa returned to Washington and remarried. There were three children Edward, Warren and Florence. At least one, Warren, took his step-father's name, Downey.
- Edwards obituary lists another living son, but no name is given.
- girl 26 Jun 1886. A daughter is listed in the obituary, but no name is given.
- August 30 Sep 1853- 2 Oct 1866 (buried in Union Cemetery)
- Matilda (Tillia) 1854-1907 m Otto H. Klump 1877
- Julius C 1856 - 1925 m Alice Taylor 1889 moved to Santa Rosa
- Lena 20 May 1890
- Emma 14 Apr 1892 m. John Myers
- Julius McKinley 1894- 18 Feb 1894
- Beatrice 1903 m. Zipful 1932
- Albert Hilton 12 Oct 1858 Searsville - 30 Oct 1916 San Mateo m. Mary Esther Rapley (Minnie) 1870 – 1944 . Albert and Mary are buried in St. John's Catholic Cemetery in San Mateo.Their granddaughter Donna Jean is buried with them. Albert was Superintendent of the County Poor Farm after the turn of the century.
- Matilda Catherine 2 Nov 1894 - 26 Nov 1965 m. Albert J. Rapp (1894-1953) Catherine and Albert are buried in Golden Gate National Cemetery.
- Albert Joseph 1925
- Thomas 1926
- Albert Hilton 18 Aug 1899 - 9 Jun 1977 m.1935 Viola Selma Smith (1904-2002) Albert and Viola lived in Burlingame and in San Mateo. They are buried in Gate of Heaven Catholic Cemetery in Los Altos.
- Laura Esther Eikerenkotter 9 Apr 1903 – 27 Apr 1982 m. Robert Gustafson (1902-1991) Laura and Robert are buried with Albert and Mary in St. John's Cemetery.
- Roberta 1929 m Albert H Reyen 1951
- Carolyn 1938
- George Eikerenkotter Jul 1859 – 10 Oct 1930 m. Lillian Welch 1888
- Carlton George 1889- 31 Aug 1890
- Earl 6 Oct 1893 - Earl was an upholsterer in Redwood City in 1927 perhaps married a Whipple
- Florence A 17 Jan 1895 - 6 Dec 1943 (Elsie F) m. Merrick Hersey. Elsie is listed in the 1920 census as a daughter. As there is no Elsie listed in 1900 or 1910 it is assumed that Elsie and Florence are the same person. The CA death index confirms her father was Eikerenkotter and her mother Welch. Adding to the confusion, George's obituary states his daughters name is Edna.
- Seymore George 26 Feb 1898 m. Mabel Williams 1926
- Lina 1863 - 24 Mar 1878 Searsville
|San Mateo Times and Daily Leader|
10 Oct 1930 p2
This is just a quick genealogy of the family using SMCGS databases and online census records and newspapers. Much more could be filled in with adequate research.
Source Records for the Eikerenkotter Family
San Mateo County Death Records
- Eikerenkotter Edward A 31-Jul-1897 44 4 11 M W white California appendicitis Dr E W Charles clerk Palo Alto 17-Aug-1897 1 44 15 A 284
- Eikerenkotter Geo C 31-Aug-1890 11 1 M white California inft corls J L Ross Searsville 1 44 6 Eikerenkotter Helena 21-Apr-1891 63 10 21 F W white Germany hemg brain W M Barrett Searsville 1 44 8 A 66
- Eikerenkotter Lina 24-Mar-1873 10 7 20 F S white San Mateo bowel disease clergyman H E Jennett Searsville 1 44 1 E
- Eikerenkotter George Seymour 28 Redwood City Williams Mabel Mildred 22 Redwood City 21-Aug 1926 25 178 Redwood City
- Eikerenkotter Julius C 32 Searsville Taylor Alice M 19 Redwood City 14-Aug 1889 4 79 Redwood City
- Eikerenkotter Geo W 28 Searsville Welch Lillie F 22 Redwood City 1-Nov 1888 4 57 Redwood City
- Eikerenkotter Albert 35 Redwood City Rapley Minnie E 23 Searsville 6-Feb 1894 4 222 Redwood City
- Eikerenkotter Albert Hilton 33 San Mateo Smith Viola Selma 29 Burlingame [San Mateo] 26-Jun 1935 40 380 San Mateo
James Crow's Mortuary Register
- EIKERENKOTTER (Infant) Redwood City 6/18/1879 Redwood City Single White Union Cemetery 6‐19‐1879 James Crowe
- EIKERENKOTTER A. 70 26 Prussia 7/26/1887 Searsville Married M White Hotel Keeper Union Cemetery 7‐29‐1887 James Crowe
- EIKERENKOTTER Edward A. 44 4 11 California 7/31/1897 Palo Alto Widower M White Clerk Appendicitis E. W. Charles, M.D. Union Cemetery 8‐2‐1897 James Crowe
- EIKERENKOTTER George C. 11 1 California 8/31/1890 Searsville Infant Couls? J. L. Ross EIKERENKOTTER Helena 63 10 21 Germany 4/21/1891 Searsville Widow F White Hemorrhage of brain W. M. Barret Union Cemetery 4‐23‐1891 James Crowe
- EIKERENKOTTER Julius Jr. 1 2 South San Francisco 3/18/1894 South San Francisco Single M White Union Cemetery 3‐20‐1894 James Crowe
- EIKERENKOTTER Lina 10 7 20 San Mateo Co. 3/24/1873 Searsville Single F White Bowel Disease H. E. Jewitt, Clergy
- EIKERENKOTTER Mrs. E. 28 8 24 San Francisco 7/9/1886 Redwood City Married F White Union Cemetery 7‐11‐1886 James Crowe
- 1003 8 1921 Aug 01 Eikerenkotter, Earnest A. 28.42 California suicide - severed arteries
San Mateo County Land Records
- Eikerenkotter Aug 3 Nov 1865 D4 563 thru 566 Grantor Canada de Raymundo Rancho Mortgage with SF Savings Union
- Eikerenkotter Aug 6 Jan 1863 Mort2 119 thru 121 mortgagor
- Eikerenkotter August 10 Mar 1857 D1 114 Grantee
- Eikerenkotter August 15-Aug-1857 Mort1 89 thru 92 mortgagor Buri Buri Rancho
- Eikerenkotter August 18 Apr 1863 Mort2 198 thru 200 mortgagor
- Eikerenkotter August 3 Sep 1857 D1 199 grantor
- Eikerenkotter August 6 Oct 1858 D1 425 grantor
- Eikerenkotter Helena (wife) 3 Nov 1865 D4 563 thru 566 Grantor Canada de Raymundo Rancho Mortgage with SF Savings Union
- Eikerenkotter Lina 18 Apr 1863 Mort2 198 thru 200 mortgagor
- Eikerenkotter Lina 6 Jan 1863 Mort2 119 thru 121 mortgagor
- Eikerenkotter Magdalene 3 Sep 1857 D1 199 grantor
- 1860 - Township 3, San Mateo, California; Roll: M653_65; Page: 80
- 1870 - Township 4, San Mateo, California; Roll: M593_87; Page: 382A
- Augustus - Searsville, San Mateo, California; Roll: 80; Page: 424B; Enumeration District: 239
- Charles - Redwood City, San Mateo, California; Roll: 80; Page: 401B; Enumeration District: 238
- Charles - Suisun, Solano, California; Roll: 113; Page: 7B; Enumeration District: 0147
- Julius - Township 1, San Mateo, California; Roll: 109; Page: 1A; Enumeration District:0036
- George - Redwood City, San Mateo, California; Roll: 109; Page: 2A; Enumeration District:0041
- Albert - Township 3, San Mateo, California; Roll: 109; Page: 22B; Enumeration District:0040
- Julius - Santa Rosa Ward 1, Sonoma, California; Roll: T624_109; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 0157
- George - Township 3, San Mateo, California; Roll: T624_104; Page: 13B; Enumeration District: 0058
- Albert - Township 2, San Mateo, California; Roll: T624_104; Page: 9B; Enumeration District
- Charles - San Rafael, Marin, California; Roll: T625_120; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 91 Living with son who is using the last name Williams. Charles is listed as divorced.
- Julius - South San Francisco, San Mateo, California; Roll: T625_145; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 65
- George - Redwood City, San Mateo, California; Roll: T625_145; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 79
- Mary - San Mateo, San Mateo, California; Roll: T625_145; Page: 14B; Enumeration District: 71
- Laura - San Mateo, San Mateo, California; Roll: 216; Page: 7A; Enumeration District:0030
- Catherine - Burlingame, San Mateo, California; Roll: T627_332; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 41-84
- Laura - San Mateo, San Mateo, California; Roll: T627_330; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 41-36 Mary is living with her daughter.
- Record of Appointment of Postmasters, 1832-1971. NARA Microfilm Publication, M841, 145 rolls. Records of the Post Office Department, Record Group Number 28. Washington, D.C.: National Archives.
- New Orleans, Louisiana Birth Records V:9; p1380
- Edward Obituary: Times Gazette 7 Aug 1897