On 5 Nov 1877 Agnes Maria Griffith Tilton filed a description and map with the County of San Mateo for a cemetery that was to be located on land that had been deeded to her husband John Quincy Adams Tilton by George Howard in 1865. The survey describes the land as being on the South Easterly corner of RailRoad and Mount Diablo Avenes.
JQA Tilton died in Sep 1869 at the age of 42. Where he was buried before the cemetery was established is unknown. Perhaps he was buried on the family land. It is also possible that his initial burial was on the grounds of the local Congregational or Episcopal Churches. He served on the board of elders of both. Perhaps his grave in Evergreen Cemetery was his original burial place with the cemetery built around him. The Evergreen Cemetery book might provide an answer.
|Miscellaneous Book 5 Pg 68|
The map which was drawn by AS Easton, a brother-in-law of JQA Tilton, shows a beautifully designed cemetery on a little over 13 acres of land.
|San Mateo County Official Map Book B p 27|
The cemetery was mentioned in the 1883 History of San Mateo County.
IC Steele, B.F. Alley Publisher 1883
|Marjorie Boettcher, The Tilton Family, |
1 Jun 1939 Monograph SMCHA SM129
Not long after the establishment of the cemetery, the town of San Mateo felt the need to expand. The land the cemetery was located on was considered prime real estate.
Less than ten years later the cemetery had been closed and burials moved to St. John's Cemetery, which had been dedicated in 1886 with sections for both Catholic and protestant burials.
|JQA Tilton Home 1939|
38 North Claremont SM
The Tilton Family
Agnes was also struggling to make her boarding house profitable. In 1886 she sold her San Mateo land back to the Howards who turned the land into town lots.
History of San Mateo Cemeteries, Michael R Luna, student monograph 20 May 1838 - SMCHA SM80
The Tilton Family, Marjorie Boettcher, 1 Jun 1939 Monograph SMCHA SM129