The Serbian Cemetery in Colma dates from 1901 when five acres were purchased by the First Serbian Benevolent Society. Relocation began of the cemetery that had been located at Turk and Parker Streets in San Francisco. Originally run by the Orthodox Society the cemetery had been transferred to the Serbian Society when a loan defaulted.
Eleven acres have been added to the original five and the cemeteries five sections are about 50% full.
The First Serbian Benevolent Society of San Francisco, the oldest Serbian organization in America, was founded in 1880. Originally called the Serbian-Montenegrin Literary and Benevolent Society, it was organized by Antonije Vukasovich, Jovan Jovovich, Jovan Pavkovich, Krsto Gopcevich, Rade Begovich and Vladimir Jovovich, all from Boka Kotorska, George S. Martinovich from Montenegro, and Mikhail Rashkovich from Vojvodina to "promote social and intellectual interchange, and establish a system of general philanthropy and benevolence for Serbian immigrant laborers toiling far from their homeland." (See the FSBS website for more on the history of the society, the cemetery and the Serbian community in Northern California.)
Serbian Cemetery - FindAGrave
Serbian Cemetery on Flickr
|San Francisco Chronicle 1918|
|San Francisco Chronicle 1928|
Serbian Cemetery 1801 Hillside Blvd, Colma, CA 94014
First Serbian Benevolent Society PO Box 2123, Menlo Park, CA 94025