After San Mateo County was established in 1856 a county court and Justice courts were set up in the county. Many of the early court records for San Mateo County have found their way to the San Mateo County Historical Association's Archives. To date a few of those volumes have been indexed including:
- Justice Court - Pulgas Township Docket Book 1 - Jan 1866 - Jul 1871 George W. Fox, JP 461p.
- Justice Court Pulgas Township Docket Book 2 1871-1874 This is an index found in Volume 1 - To date volume 2 has not been found (the index was located in Docket Book 1)
- Probate Court: Record of bonds, letters and inventories 1857-1871 Starts with page 55
- Minutes: County Court 1856-1871 gift from SMC done Includes civil jury trials and appeals of justice court decisions
- Justice Court - 3rd Township of San Mateo County 1855-1860 Horace Templeton, James McCrea etc 399 pages
Some of the other registers in the SMCHA collections include:
- Court of Sessions, Abstract of title- Miramontes/DeHaro Ranch recording of deeds, leases and mortgages 1853-1859
- Minutes Court of Sessions, Redwood City 1856-1863
- Judgement Book D & C Court: 12th Judicial district 1867-1875
- Index to County Court: Plaintiff see Durham Catherine Bk 2 p 125 Judgement #224
- Justice Court - 3rd Township of San Mateo County 1862-1868
- Justice Court - 3rd Township of San Mateo County 1876-1877
- Justice Court - 3rd Township of San Mateo County Nov 1877
We hope to continue indexing these registers at a later date. If there is anyone who would like to undertake this project, we would be happy to help you get set up.
Check out the other SMCGS Databases and good luck with your research